HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Slipcovered French Chair

Chair After Slipcover
 I purchased a pair of French chairs at a sale about six months ago that for the time being are in two different rooms in the house.  I don't want to completely recover them in separate fabric because I am determined to do some re-decorating and eventually they will be reunited.  A student in an upholstery class came into the shop one day when I was there and asked if we had any projects she could use for her class.  I let her make a slipcover for this chair so it would match the room it is currently in.  It looks so much better and her prices were very reasonable.  I was glad I took a chance and started her with a small project.  She slip covered the base of the chair.  Recovered the cushion and the only permanent thing she did to the chair that will have to be undone are the little arm patches.  I am quite happy and so are my guests as the original chair was in the guest room.  As you can see from the second photo, not too pretty.  So if you have a small project that needs doing and you don't want to spend a lot of money, search out some adult education classes in your area and see if they have any students looking for projects.  I think I will have her do the other chair now.  It is in the living room and I would sure love to have it done by the holidays.
Chair Before Slipcover
Yucky rust plaid.  A throwback from the 80's.

No comments: