HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Christie Repasy Workshop

This past Saturday I got to do one big thing on my bucket list. Well, I started to do one big thing. I want to learn to paint beautiful roses. I have never had any formal art classes and while I consider myself pretty creative, I know I must learn a little about formal painting techniques to advance any further with my art forms.

I attended a workshop hosted by the renowned rose artist of our day, Christie Repasy. Christie paints the most beautiful roses and I consider myself one lucky duck to live close enough (two and a half hours) to attend her workshops. It was a very long drive, but I met three other ladies who live very close to me that drove down to Fallbrook, California to participate in the event and we all signed up for another class in January.


I love Christie's method of painting. She uses very few paints to create the incredible colors she uses in her art by mixing colors which she taught us about in her class. I would love to say bye-bye to all those little bottles of craft paints.
This is Rosemary deep in thought. She is one of the ladies I met. We all came away with a beautiful finished product thanks to Christie's wonderful instruction.

Here are two of the finished roses with a grayish background.

This is the rose I painted. I confess I needed a lot of help with one of my outer petals, but I learned so much I can't wait to practice some more. It was a lot to learn in one day, but I had so much fun. The day was an unforgettable experience. Christie has students who come from as far as Canada to attend her classes. So if rose painting is on your bucket list too, consider a trip to Southern California to attend one of Christie's workshops. I believe she said she is approximately 30 minutes from San Diego. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great Sunday.
 
 


I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                           
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


9 comments:

chateau chic said...

Gorgeous! What a great class to be able to take.
Mary Alice

chateau de fleurs said...

Hi Maggie, I had such a great time teaching you gals last Saturday. I look forward to seeing you again in January! Thanks for sharing about the class, Christie

awal.ny said...

I am so envious that you were able to take these lessons. Your rose turned out beautiful.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OH, I am so envious!! I have always said that is the one thing I would love to do is paint roses!!! I wish it was not so far away I would do it in a heart beat, I cannot believe what you painted and learned in one day! You have got to show us your practice roses!!

Carol

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I have long admired Christie's beautiful rose paintings. How lucky you are to be close enough to attend one of her classes!

Your rose painting is magnificent!!

Annette T. said...

Oh Maggie, that must have been a fantastic class. I love the way she paints. Just looking at her pictures gives me such a relaxed feeling. I can see them popping up on your signs a lot in the coming months!

Anne said...

Maggie that is beautiful!!!!!!!!! WOW you are so lucky! I would LOVE to take one of her classes!
xx
Anne

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Your rosé turned out beautifully. Great job.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Beautiful job Maggie. I'm happy for you that you are able to do this. Your rose is lovely.