HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Paris Apartment Table

I found this little mahogany accent table at a local sale.  It was in very sad shape with a badly scuffed leather top.  There was no way to bring it to a perfect state so I stuck with the very weathered and worn look the table already had.
I'm not sure where I found this image.  It was probably on Pinterest, but I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.  I painted the entire piece with Old White and applied my image as I always do in the reverse mod podge style.  I know I keep showing you my pieces that I use this technique on, but if you love hand painted pieces and are not a true artist, this is the next best thing.
I went around the edges and the legs with a deep gray paint and then topped it with Modern Master's gold paint.  This gave me the layered worn look I was going for when I heavily sanded everything in the end.
While I was removing the original hardware, I dropped one of the little pieces that went with one of the drawer pulls.  I'll be looking for that little piece for the next five years.  I used these little inexpensive wooden knobs just to stay with the funkiness of the makeover this little table was receiving.
Next I used an inexpensive stencil and gave the table a little more detail to add to the old world Frenchy style I was trying to give this very traditional table.

It took me a while to get this project finished because I was participating in my third flea market in five months.  Yikes!  I survived, but I don't think I will be doing that again.  In the meantime, this little cutie visited us over Memorial Day weekend.  My little grandson will be a year old this month.  Time flies when you're totally smitten.  He's a true California boy.
Thanks for stopping by.  I hope to show you some more new projects very soon.

I may be partying at...

Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Two cuties today-both aging nicely! The furniture AND the boy! He is growing up fast-he is just darling. Have a wonderful weekend- xo Diana

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

He's a cutie, Maggie! That year did go fast ~ I remember you posting about his birth! Love the table. I love the stenciled flourishes you added, too. Perfect touch.

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

I love the table and really love the image you used. Your grandson, what a cutie!! He looks like he will be very tall.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Maggie, your little grandson is so cute. What a sweet pic of him poolside.
Your table is beautiful. It turned out perfectly old world and frenchy. Love the image and the stenciled scrolls.

Have a nice weekend.
Hugs

Miss Rhea said...

It looks great, you did such a nice job. I REALLY love the aqua one you did last with the roses on it, Oh My!! :) Your Grandson is Darling. Too sweet!! :) :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Maggie, this is a masterpiece!! Yes. doing those shows is a lot of work!! I would love to have you at the Polka Dot flea, but you said you are done doing shows lol! Your baby is soo cute! I love that age!

Carol

Donna said...

Your grandson is a real cutie! Looks like he's ready for a day at the beach:) I am in love with your table! The cherubs are perfect, it looks like they have always been there!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Love your table, but the real cutie is your grandson!! Being a grandparent is the very best part of growing older, don't you think?!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Oh Maggie he's so cute. He made me forget what your project was!