HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Lingerie Chest with Toile Motif

I found this little lingerie chest at the flea market.  It's not old at all. I liked the size, but the drawers were wood grained and the rest was black.  I found this new toile image I wanted to try out and this seemed like the perfect piece to try it on.  I learned a lesson on this piece.  The finish was extremely slick and although I sanded it down and give it a coat of chalk paint, the finish was still too slippery and when I went to do my reverse mod podge transfer that I usually do, the image pretty much slid off.  This was a first for me.  So I simply decopaged the image on in the normal way.  I like doing the reverse mod podge better because I get more of a hand painted feel.
I found several rolls of wallpaper border at a garage sale that had this wonderful French style relief on it.  The size was perfect for these petite dresser drawers.  I followed the directions on the package by wetting the wallpaper border and applying them to the fronts of the drawers but I found the paper lifting.  I'm convinced the original finish on the drawer fronts was too slippery as well.  Tacky glue came to my rescue and the paper is very secure now. 
I painted over the paper which is what the directions called for as well and it blends beautifully with the rest of the piece.
I did a little sanding to distress the piece when it was done.  The original color was black and in case any of my paint chips off it will just blend with the already distressed finish.  The hardware also got painted to tie in with the look.
Here is the piece as I found it.  I took the first drawer out and started painting and then remembered I needed to take a before photo.
Thanks for visiting.


I may be partying at...


Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
   

10 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Maggie, it sounds like this was one of those irritating pieces we occasionally encounter! Of course when you finished.....It is gorgeous as everything you do always is!

Carol.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fabulous job, Maggie. I love all the details.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's a cute little piece, Maggie! You've certainly changed the look of it. I'm glad you hung in there with it. I'm sure it was frustrating when the paper and image slid off.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

It's gorgeous! The embossed wallpaper looks like frosting on a cake and a perfect addition to this sweet little chest.

Unknown said...

What a night and day transformation! It's beautiful!
-Allison at
Thrifty Castle

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the wallpapered drawers, Maggie! They look like applique wood pieces applied to the drawers. I'm tucking that idea away. Thanks for sharing!
Vickie

Donna said...

Wow, what a gorgeous dresser, Maggie! You would never guess it is the same piece! I love the image you added to the top, and that is such a terrific idea to use the wall paper on the drawer fronts. Just beautiful!!

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

Maggie, you conquered this one beautifully!!! Those drawer fronts are to drool over and that toile transfer/decoupage on top is the piece de resistance!!!

Unknown said...

Wow!!! What a beautiful difference! I love it! Thanks for sharing, you have inspired me to do my old chest of drawers soon.

French pretties said...

Great Maggie! I am your newest follower. Monika from HAND MAD CREATIONS